The Universal Code of Conduct
This document was last updated: September 2007
The Universal Code of Conduct outlines the rules that you need to follow to ensure that the game is fun for everyone.
The Universal is a vast and open online experience, and as such you may at times see inappropriate use from other players. If you are unwilling to accept that risk then you should not participate.
In the game you will meet players of all ages, abilities and experience. Your patience is appreciated when playing, challenging or communicating with other players.
What you can't do.
- Dont use The Universal to do anything illegal. The Universal team is not responsible for anything you say on the service or for anything that happens because of what you say; you alone are responsible.
- Dont harass, abuse, threaten, shout at, stalk or spam other players.
- Don't express racist, sexist, homophobic, or other prejudiced views in game. If you are a racist, a sexist or a homophobe you're not welcome here, but you may be tolerated if you keep your views to yourself.
- Dont swear: there are children here too.
- Dont distribute, post, or discuss obscene or other unlawful materials like child pornography or illegal drugs.
- Dont give out information that personally identifies you such as your real name, address, phone number, credit card number, etc. while you're playing. This information could be used by other players for illegal or harmful purposes. Donít give out the personal information of other players.
- Dont create a†nickname with any profanity, sexually explicit language, sexual innuendo, or racial, ethnic, or religious slurs in it.
- Dont create a name that references controversial religious topics, notorious people, organizations, or sensitive current or historical events that may also be considered inappropriate.
- Don't use graphics or symbols that are likely to offend, or that are inappropriate for minors to see. This includes pornographic, racist, sexist and homophobic graphics, graphics that illustrate illegal activities, and graphics that could be considered offensive by religious groups.
- Dont cheat in a game. This includes the use of bots, scripts, editors, exploiting bugs without reporting them to the staff, and any other activity we consider unfair to other players.
If you violate the Code of Conduct, action may be taken against your account. For example, if you create an inappropriate nickname you may be required to change it. If you use an inappropriate nickname you may be temporarily locked out of your account. If we are notified that you have posted inappropriate content of any kind, it may be removed. Depending on the severity of the offense, you may even have your account terminated and/or be reported to the relevant authorities. The Universal team is not obliged to send you a warning before these actions occur. If you are banned while participating in a tournament or competition The Universal team assumes no liability in the loss of any potential prizes or recognition related to the tournament or competition.
The Universal team reserves the right to punish, ban and/or delete the account of any player at any time.
How can you avoid getting into trouble?
Thatís easy. Just follow the rules.
What you can do:
- Take a break or mute a player (type .ignore [playername]) who makes you angry. If you take action it could be considered harassment.
- Send negative feedback on problem players. firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you're a parent/guardian with concerns related to the game, you can notify The Universal team using the same abuse email address.
Be sure to re-read this document once in a while to stay up-to-date with the Code of Conduct. Some games and events may also have additional guidelines that govern your use: be sure to review them as well.